Using the Group as the Medium of Supervision
“The primary purpose of supervision is to throw light on the therapeutic relationship; its secondary purpose is to enhance the
student’s skills as a therapist. In group supervision, it is not only the experience and “know-how” of the supervisor that makes
a difference, but the dialogue between colleagues of the supervision group, each of whom has a different perspective on the
(Behr and Hearst 2005)
The course is open to group analysts, group psychotherapists, individual psychotherapists, clinical psychologists, counselling psychologists and counsellors, who have had three years’ post qualification experience.
Successful applicants will be expected to be working as supervisors with a group of supervisees by the start of the course or be planning to do so. The training is psychodynamic in its orientation, but therapists from other trainings, who are interested in using the group as the medium for supervision, are welcome to apply. The course covers group supervision of groups and dyadic work.
The training involves 45 hours theory and 15 hours median group experience. In addition 45 hours of group supervision of supervision will take place weekly either face to face or via telephone conferencing/Skype. There will be a 5,000-word essay to complete in order to qualify.
Venue for 2019 course
The Institute of Group Analysis, 1 Daleham Gardens, London, NW3 5BY
- Applicants should have completed a recognised Qualifying training in Psychotherapy or have qualified as Psychodynamic Counsellors
- Candidates should have a minimum of 3 years post qualification experience and they should be practicing therapists, receiving regular supervision
- Candidates will need to be either running a supervision group or demonstrate that they will have a supervision group to bring to the course
There are 3 components to the assessment process:
1. Theoretical knowledge and understanding is assessed by the academic staff
2. Ability to offer supervision is assessed by the supervisor of supervision
3. A 5,000 word essay submitted after the end of the course and marked by a Panel of Readers demonstrates a capacity to use
learning from the course to offer safe, boundaried and appropriate supervision
Course dates 2019
9th - 10th February
30th - 31st March
15th - 16th June
21st - 22nd September
19th - 20th October
Course time 2019
The course will run on Saturday (9:15am to 7:15pm) and Sunday (9:15am to 5:15pm) over five weekends.
Cost of interview: £158 - Interviews will be held at the Institute of Group Analysis, 1 Daleham Gardens, NW3 5BY. Date for interviews is to be confirmed.
Option A: £1995
Option B: £2121, (instalments payments available)
Supervision of supervision Fees: £1197
Course Director: Leonie Hilliard
For any queries or if you wish to discuss the course, please email the current Course Directors, Leonie Hilliard,
firstname.lastname@example.org and Jo Joyce, JoSupervision@groupanalysis-uk.co.uk
Application Form, click here